Essential Oils are rapidly gaining popularity. You can find them for sale in grocery stores, online and through several network marketing companies. When purchasing essential oils, always make sure of its quality. You get what you pay for and cheap and diluted essential oils will not give you the health benefits pure oils are known to have.
So, how do essential oils play into the Primal Lifestyle?
The Primal Lifestyle is a holistic approach to health. It is not just about your diet and exercise, but also encompasses all the body's systems. Any health technique that can help you maintain an optimally functioning system can be beneficial in the Primal Lifestyle.
The holistic approach is one of the reasons I decided to compliment my health coaching with essential oils.
Laws prohibit me from saying that essential oils can cure or be a treatment for specific conditions, however, I can share the research showing the effectiveness of essential oils in supporting the body in healing processes and maintaining health.
I believe the body can heal itself when given the proper environment. Essential oils are a tool to create the right conditions to promote healing.
This is really encouraging, as many drugs and treatments do not promote the proper conditions to allow the body to do what it was designed to do. Essential oils can work to bring the body back into balance while using medications or perhaps even prevent from needing medications in the first place.
*Note: Always consult with your physician if you are taking medications before using essential oils and never stop a medication without your doctors approval and supervision.
As part of guiding you in your Primal Lifestyle, I will be sharing my favorite essential oils and blends and how they can support you body to obtain optimal health.
For those who are just beginning to explore essential oils, my recommendation for your first oil would be lemon essential oil.
Why Lemon Essential Oil?
- Lemon essential oil is lower in cost than many other essential oils, making it accessible to more people. The abundance of lemon peels is what keeps the cost down.
- It is easy to use. Lemon essential oil is easy to incorporate into all areas of your life. It is a powerful all-purpose oil.
- It is easy to find. Some oils are more difficult to find. Lemon is very common and can be found in all places that sell essential oils.
- It has a very pleasant energizing smell. The smell of lemon is pleasing to most people. Some essential oils have aromas that are not pleasing, leaving the user less willing to use them. Lemon's light, refreshing smell can lift your mood and bring you energy. It is sometimes referred to as 'Liquid Sunshine'.
- It has many benefits, covering many of the health concerns people have today. This is how it gets labeled as an all-purpose oil.
First, just a little chemistry for those science buffs like me who like to learn this kind of thing. I promise I will be brief but if you don't like the science, feel free to skip to the benefits below.
Lemon oil is know to have anti-infection, astringent, detoxifying, antiseptic, disinfecting, and anti-fungal properties. These properties come from its main compounds, d-limone and b-pinene, both of which are in the monoterpene family.
Monoterpenes are known for:
- being mild antiseptics
- supportive to the respiratory and muscular system
- rubefacient ,cause a gentle and localized increase in surface blood flow
- easily enters tissues and absorbs quickly when applied topically
- refreshing and purifying
- Supports normal information in cellular DNA
D-Limone has these specific properties:
- Dissolve cholesterol and has been used clinically to dissolve cholesterol-containing gallstones
- Supports normal peristalsis, involuntary constriction and relaxation of the muscles of the intestine
- Phase I clinical trails indicate it has chemo-preventative activity against certain cancers. Alternative Medicine Review
- Supports healthy weight and respiratory issues.
B-Pinene has these specific properties:
- Antidepressant like activities
- Well-studied anti-bacterial properties
- Shown in recent clinical studies to display anti-proliferative activity toward cancer cells.
- Cleansing and purification of air and surfaces. Lemon oils antibacterial, antiseptic, disinfecting, and anti-fungal properties make it a great choice over all the chemical laden products for cleansing the air and home. You can also diffuse it to help purify the air.
- Detoxifying effects on the body. Lemon oil is known to cleanse toxins from the body and stimulate lymphatic drainage.
- Aids in digestion. It can ease the pain of abdominal colic, calms nausea, Supports the body in relieving flatulence, indigestion, heartburn and promotes normal peristalsis.
- Nourishes the skin. Lemon essential oils can soften calluses, bunions, and corns; restore the luster of dull skin, rejuvenation sagging skin, treat acne, reduces excess oil, and soften cuticles.
- Promotes healthy hair. It can strengthen hair and give it a shine . It alleviates dandruff, can be used as a hair refresher, and enhances natural highlights when sprayed on hair before exposure to sunlight.
- Mood lifter. Lemons light citrus scent has a calming and stimulating effect. This energizing aroma energizes, improving mental fatigue, reducing the feeling of exhaustion and anxiety. It can promote a positive mindset, concentration, and alertness while at the same time supporting good sleep.
- Immune Support. Lemon oil helps support a healthy respiratory system, can clear nasal and sinus passages, promoting easy and steady breathing. It has been shown to stimulate white blood cells which leads to an increase in the ability to defend against infections.
- Promotes weight loss-it reduces the feeling of hunger and promotes fat metabolism.
- Lemon essential oil blends well with other essential oils such as geranium, lavender, peppermint, rose, sandalwood, and tea tree.
Lemon Essential Oil Uses
- Laundry: Add a couple of drops to your laundry to prevent nasty smells and to give a mood lifting scent to your clothes.
- Natural Disinfectant: Add a few drops of lemon essential oil to vinegar and water to make an all-purpose cleaner.
Gum, label, and crayon remover.
- Insect repellent. Can be put on cotton balls in drawers and corners of rooms to repel insects. Mixed with other essential oils, like citronella and lemongrass, it can be for use on your body or pets.
- Diffuse 3-5 drops in a diffuser to refresh the air.
Mouth and Skin Care:
- Hand cleanser- add a few drops to your liquid soap.
- Face wash- you can add a few drops to your face cleanser.
- It promotes health fat loss by reducing hunger sensations and metabolizing fat. Add 1-2 drops of lemon oil to 8 ounces of water.
- Improves mood. You can use direct inhalation from the bottle or diffuse 3-5 drops in a diffuser.
- Immune Support. Diffusing lemon essential oils will help kill microorganisms in the air, helping to prevent infections. Can be taken internally to support immune function. For a fever mix 1 drop each of lemon and peppermint essential oils in a carrier oil and apply to the bottom of the feet.
Lemon essential oil is a photo-sensitizing oil. This means it will make your skin more susceptible to sunlight and may causes sunburns when exposed to the sun. Avoid sun exposure for 12 hours after applying topically.
Jidong Sun. D-Limonene: safety and clinical applications. Altern Med Rev. 2007 Sep; 12(3): 259–264. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18072821
Guzmán-Gutiérrez, S.L., Gómez-Cansino, R., GarcíaZebadúa, J.C., Jiménez-Pérez, N.C., Reyes-Chilpa, R. (2012, September). Antidepressant activity of Litsea glaucescens essential oil: identification of β-pinene and linalool as active principles. J Ethnopharmacol. 28;143(2):673-9. doi: 10.1016/j.jep.2012.07.026
Bayala, B., Bassole, I. H., Scifo, R., Gnoula, C., Morel, L., Lobaccaro, J.-M. A., & Simpore, J. (2014). Anticancer activity of essential oils and their chemical components - a review. American Journal of Cancer Research, 4(6), 591–607. 6
Yavari Kia, P., Safajou, F., Shahnazi, M., Nazemiyeh, H. (2014, March). The effect of lemon inhalation aromatherapy on nausea and vomiting of pregnancy: a double-blinded, randomized, controlled clinical trial. Iran Red Crescent Med J. Retrieved from http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/ pubmed/24829772 7 Komiya, M., Takeuchi,
Do you need help purchasing lemon essential oil. Let me help you out here